Sunday 7 March 2010

117 Days to go: Cracking ride


Cracked 60 miles yesterday, although I did wonder if it would be me cracking. Set out from Innerleithen in the Scottish borders to do some decent hills and mileage. I wasn't sure how I would feel as last spring I felt shattered on the first ride in this area after 40 miles. So I had an opt out, when I got to Clovenfords after 25 miles I could either take a rolling 15 miles back or do another 25 miles, to take in a couple of half-decent climbs.


Well I felt like I was on drugs for the first 25 miles. Best I have ever felt at this time of year, and that was on the winter bike too! so when I got to Clovenfords I decided to do the longer route. Happy days....but not for long. The next 10 miles were hell. I felt tired, my bum ached, I had real pain in between my shoulder blades and once I got to Selkirk I was committed to the two climbs. No worries I thought, I will stop at the pub at Ettrickbridge and grab a cuppa to gather my strength. Mark had started at the same time this morning. I knew he was stopping here for a brew so I was hoping I might catch him as he was heading out the door. Seeing Mark's bike propped up against the wall put a small on my face. That smile turned into a massive grin when I saw Mark had a full cup of tea so we could chat for awhile, and that I was only 15 minutes behind him!!!


30 minutes later I was on my way again. First stop was my favourite climb over Witchy Knowe. Still a brilliant climb. Descent was a bit slow on account of the snow on the road. Was dreading the next stretch to the Gordon Arms as I really struggle on this section. but guess what? NO WIND!! OMG What a difference!!! Don't know what the fuss was all about, with no head wind I flew along and before I knew it was heading over the last climb of the day.


all in all averaged 13.5 mph, which is pretty good for me considering the time of year and the bike I was on. Must be doing something right.


No comments:

Post a Comment