Sunday 21 March 2010

103 Days to Go: Spring has sprung

Finally felt like spring was here this weekend.  Felt very warm yesterday when I went out for a "hard as you can" burst around one of my normal training routes in an attempt to get faster and stronger on the hills.

Today's long ride was the route of the Selkirk sportive. Not as warm as yesterday, due to a horrible horrible head wind.  The ride started out with the climb over to Gordon Arms from Innerleithen into an energy sapping, demoralising head wind. No matter I thought, everyone else who was out will be in the same boat....until a women cyclist went past me.  Well that soon made me feel like utter crap, especially when I couldn't catch her (it's a girl thing, we don't like to be passed by another girl).  The only saving grace is that (I am sure) she was on a lighter bike.  Now bearing in mind that I was still in full winter kit the biggest shock was that she was wearing short shorts. To my delight I saw her turning around at the Gordon Arms crossroads, with a very red face and even redder legs! 

Still it was onto the next climb, back into the wind and avoiding the sheep up the berry bush.  All I could think about was the tailwind I was hoping to get once I dropped into the Ettrick Valley. And how right I was, a lovely fast run all the way to Selkirk.  Even managed to fit in an extra climb on the way. 


Have to say though I didn't feel that great as my legs hurt.  Good thing this was my easy week as I wasn't finding the ride particularly enjoyable on acount of feeling tired. Not sure if it was from Saturday's effort or not fully recovered from last week's long ride. 



After some Selkirk bannock and a cuppa with Mark I headed back to Innerleithen up the Tweed Valley.  Luckily the wind had dropped by this point so it was a nice amble back past some real signs of spring.



Time for a hot bath and a lovely green & blacks hot chocolate, with a shot of whisky.

No comments:

Post a Comment