Sunday 14 February 2010

139 Days to Go: Winter Weight


Feeling the weight of winter out on the road, as it really shows that I have been lacking in training the last month or so. Have still been doing some turbo sessions (1 to 2 a week), which is good for speed and strenght. But when I had the first foray out on the road bike last weekend it was a major shock going up hill. Felt like I was dragging a rock behind my bike.

The truth really came out yesterday when I went out with the club yesterday on the Social ride.
Had a nice 7 mile ride to the meeting point. Rode over Torphichen (pronounced Torficken), which cuts out about 1/3 of the climb had I gone over Ballencrief (my usual route). I only went this way as it was around 0 deg when I set out, so I took the same route as the local bus, on the basis that the road would be gritted. Needless to say I was nicely warmed up after the 30 min ride to meet the club.

Was a bit worried when I saw the shiny clean bikes and fit looking guys and thought I might have to try to hang on to the back of the Active group. Thankfully Andy turned up at the last minute (baring his legs in shorts!) so there was enough for a social ride. We did 27 undulating miles with no major climbs to speak of (didn't even use the granny ring once). We probably average around 14 to 15 mph and felt a bit tired at the end but pretty strong.

So the option to get home was to go back via Torphichen (easy way out) or head over Bathgate hills (or Bathgate Alpes as the locals call them). Feeling fine after scoffing down some Go bar I decided for the latter.

Five minutes later I was regretting that choice. I had forgotten how tough the ride out of town to get to the climb proper was and how many other cheeky climbs there were to get home. Lets just say that it wasn't a pretty sight. I was shunning any form of human contact when I got home until at least a cuppa and some decent food. All told I must have done around 40 miles, which is not much! It took a sandwich, two cups of tea and a big mug of hot chocolate to come right. But then I remember the shock last year of doing the first 40 miler in spring and it felt like 60.

The worst thing is, I actually enjoy the feeling of being on my knees at the end of a ride. I feel like I have made the most of the time out on the bike. Good thing, because there is plenty more of that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment