Friday 4 June 2010

35 Days to Go: La Marmotte Recce Part 4 - Alpe D'Huez

Alpe D'Huez was always going to be my day of reckoning.  Four years ago I rode up my first alpine climb, Alpe D'Huez.  I was new to road cycling, had a basic aluminium road bike (i.e. heavy) and was completely overdressed for the occasion.  I remember being told that the first three hairpins are the worst and then things get easier.  So I counted down the first three corners,thinking this is okay, only to be faced with bend 21 - the first hairpin!  Needless to say it took me about 1 hour 45 minutes to get to the top, including quite a few stops.  So as you can imagine, my memory of Alpe D'Huez was leaving me feel a little bit apprehensive.

So here is attempt number 2, four years later...I rode from Allemont to get a warm up and then hit the lap counter just before the climb starts.  After the gradients on the Glandon I was prepared for the start of Alpe D'Huez.  I felt pretty strong and made sure I took a drink at every hairpin.  I hadn't worn my heart rate monitor, but went on experience to know when I was reaching my lactate threshold.  I find this climb a bit of a carnival atmosphere because it seems like every man, woman and spotty teenager is attempting it.  Needless to say this is good news because there is always someone to pass. 

I took it pretty steady until hairpin 18 when it eases up a bit.  After this point I pushed myself a bit as I wanted to get a time of less than 1:30.  Before I knew it 40 minutes was gone and I was about a third of the way up and caught up with, yep you guessed it, my dutch friends from the hotel.  It appeared that some of them were taking my approach from four years ago and taking in the view from some of the hairpins.  The good thing about this climb is that it is about 2% around each hairpin so you get a mini break, just enough to ease the muscles and breathing.

The climb is nowhere near as hard as I found it four years ago.  Last time I remember coming to a point where you can see the final climb to the ski village and feeling broken at what was yet to come. This time I looked up an thought - fantastic I am almost there.  I put the hammer down from this point on as it was only about 4 kms to go and I knew the last 2 are pretty easy.  Whizzing past the cafes (which some people think is the finish) I was soon passing through the tunnel and then it was a case of following the signs to the official Tour de France finish.  The last kilometre has a small decline for a few metres and then it is a left hand turn around the roundabout with 300 metres to go.  I caught some others at this point and went for a sprint finish.  Flying over the finish line I hit the lap counter - 1 hour 29 minutes!!!!  Well I know one thing for sure, it might not be the fastest time in the world but I achieved my target and it is a lot quicker than I will be doing on 3rd July.

So what have I learnt from this recce?

1.  I need to do some 2 hour intensive sessions so I can push harder on the climbs.
2.  The crux of the route is the last 8km of Galibier.
3.  New brake pads are essential for the day.
4.  I need to strengthen my hands for the descents.
5.  Getting food and drink right is essential.

What would I recommend for those of you doing it this year?

1. Complete a route such as Etape du Dales, Fred Whitton or similar to harden yourself up for route.
2. Buy a copy of the Cyclefilm DVD - The Trilogy Vol 3 - La Marmotte - it contains essential information.
3. Get out there and do the climbs if you can.
4. If you are booked at the Hotel Oberland, consider changing as it is not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment