Sunday 11 April 2010

82 Days to Go: Down the garden path

A frustrating week as I have been fighting off another virus!  Two days out of the office, one of them spent in bed, so of course not much time on the bike. This weekend I have spent more time "relaxing" in the garden than on the bike. I have been extremely sensible and have been out for a very gentle 20 miles today, just to enjoy this lovely weather.  My biggest worry is that this disruption is down to overtraining, but to be honest I have been through it before and it doesn't feel the same.  Today, while I felt a bit weary, I didn't have those heavy legs that you get from overtraining, and I was desperate to get out on the bike (with overtraining I just lose interest in cycling).  I think it is just bad luck.

As a result of too much time on my hands I have now convinced myself that I want to buy some decent wheels. After much research I have my heart set on the Shimano Dura Ace CLs.  Unfortunately these cost over £500 (at a reasonable discount), which I am struggling to justify. Firstly, I have managed with my Mavic Askiums for a long time now, and they are not much heavier. Will I really notice the difference of the highly rated, highly priced Dura Ace?  Secondly, there is the opportunity cost.  All those things I could spend the £500+ on, a week's training in the alps, the new laptop that I desperately need, etc, etc.

So then I got thinking wouldn't it be great if you got a tax break on sports equipment.  Now I know that there is the cycle to work scheme, but come on I can't justify a set of racing wheels. Besides my workplace is home so a bit difficult to explain that one.  While the cycle to work scheme is fantastic, there is no "run to work scheme" or a "climb munroes on the weekend, to keep you fit for work scheme".  It would be too difficult to give people tax breaks for keeping fit, as how do you prove that unless you are monitoring gym visits or carrying out regular fitness tests.  So the answer is.... NO VAT ON SPORTING GOODS!!!!  I mean it makes sense.  Save 17.5% on the kit you want need for your chosen sport.  Plus you can import goods from the States and not have to pay customs charges (a real gripe of mine trying to source women's cycling tops - the USA have a much bigger range).  You can keep your tax breaks for married couples. Any party that comes up with that promise to remove VAT on sporting goods will have my vote.

1 comment:

  1. Quick get the VAT idea into a party for a mainfesto commitment. Especialy important if they plan to increase VAT

    ReplyDelete