Sunday 25 April 2010

68 Days to Go: Uphill Struggle

It's been a funny old week, pleased with my efforts considering that I am coming back from illness, but a bit freaked out that all is not going to plan.  Conjuring up images of Wonder Woman I thought I had fought a virus off in record time last week and went out for a normal training ride on "Ash Wednesday" (i.e. the days the planes stopped flying).  Unfortunately the next day I woke up with a chest infection and feeling rough again.  I realise now that the virus was not out of my system.  For once I listened to my body and completely rested.  Last Monday I was back into it.  Did a ride tempo ride after work and, although I didn't feel 100% on the bike, my recovery was normal. 

Wednesday night I linked up all the hills in the Bathgate Alpes to focus on getting my climbing muscles into shape.  600 metres of climbing and loved every minute of it!  Great, I thought, 2 days to recover until Saturday's long ride.

So yesterday came the shocking realisation that I am not Wonder Woman.  My plan was to do 85 miles in the Scottish Borders. I didn't feel particularly strong from the off and had to admit I wasn't enjoying the first stretch.  I felt knackered and looked that computer and realised I had only completed 10 miles.  Pulling myself together I took in the scenery, felt the warmth of the sunshine and tried to feel a bit more positive.  I had just began feeling a bit happier when some stupid woman let her ankle biting mutt chase my bike.  She just looked at me like a gormless idiot while I yelled at her dog to get away.  Well at least it got my speed up but didn't put me in a good frame of mind.

Then I got overtaken by someone!!! I must apologise to the poor guy who went passed just as I was clearing my nose on the roadside (and probably him - oops!). Not very ladylike I know but he didn't seem phased by it (but oddly took off pretty quick after saying hello).  I continued my battle of the wills and made a deal that if I got to Clovenfords with an average speed over more than 22 kph and an average HR less than 140 I would do the planned 85 miles.  However, as I struggled over the last small climb I realised that I was not being sensible.  If someone else was looking at the situation objectively I would be advised to not over do it as I would just pay in the long run. Plan B - stop for a coffee at Clovenfords and cut the ride short.

So I went all continental and stopped for a latte in the sun.  It was so nice to sit in the sun, in a short sleeve top and feel warm.  I felt a lot happier after deciding to do the shorter route.  Buoyed by my dose of caffeine I headed off to Innerleithen. Another impromptu speed session happened when I caught up with a bunch of mountain bikers at the lights for a single lane bridge.  As they pulled out in front of me I had no choice but to go on the outside of them to avoid a collision. I caught the lights as they changed and sped off from the lights, but one of the guys took umbrage and kept on my tail.  I always treat this section as a bit of a time trial effort as it is dead flat, so wasn't really trying to race him, honestly!  OK maybe I was racing him just a little bit. But near the end I was definitely racing him and left him for dead!!!

Back on the continental theme. I was in the Pyrenees last year and stayed at this weird village that had life size puppets everywhere.  Well when I pulled up to take off a layer in Innerleithen I was reminded of that village when I saw this lot looking out of the window.



That just left the final climb to get back to the starting point. And what a climb it was!  Beautiful constant gradient for the first 30 minutes, then a drop of 50 or so metres and then it's up again for another 15 minutes before the best descent ever.  So managed 50 miles, 1050 metres of climbing.  I had done what the books say which is to pick up where you left off when coming back from illness.  I hope I have made the right decision and will catch up with the training plan in the next few weeks. And I leave you with this image of my alter ego....

No comments:

Post a Comment